There are many good reasons why your Digital Business Consultant will tell you getting to page 1 of Google is a marathon and not a sprint. It’s a hyper-competitive world out there with a plethora of channels all vying for peoples attention. Experts suggest even with the right content and strategy, it can take 3 to 12 months to reach the coveted page 1 position!
We’ve curated some amazing digital facts from across the web that illustrates the struggle to gain digital attention.
Let’s Start With Raw Internet Numbers:
1. More data was created in the last two years than the previous 5,000 years of humanity. It equates to roughly 2.5 quintillion bytes a day and 90% of all data ever created.
2. 5.2 BILLION daily Google Searches…that’s 3,607,080 searches each minute of every day or 40000 every second.
3. To handle that search activity it’s estimated that Google’s data centre uses 0.01% of the world’s electricity
4. Google is worth US$500 billion
5. Google derives more than 90% of its revenue from advertising
6. There are 3.8 billion Internet users worldwide
7. 1.3 billion individual websites (and growing)
8. Facebook has more than 2 billion users
9. 4.3 billion Facebook messages are posted each day
10. 4.14 million Youtube videos are watched per minute. That’s 5.97 billion hours watched every day
11. 269 billion emails sent each day
12. 67 million images posted on Instagram every day
13. One estimate projects that by 2022, there will be 35 billion devices connected to the web—that’s four devices for every man, woman, and child on the planet!
What about purchasing and selling on the Internet?
14. 94% of buyers conduct online research before a purchase
15. Amazon makes around $258,751 in sales per minute!
16. $674.24 billion worldwide by the end of 2020 – The amount of money that will be spent on Digital advertising
17. 76% of people who search a local product on their phones visit the business within a day and 28% will then purchase
How about email?
18. 80% of sent email is SPAM…who’d have thought!
19. Email marketing is the least used marketing channel but produces the highest Return On Investment.
20. Emails between 50 and 125 words had the best response rates at just above 50%
21. People are using the search term “best” 80% more often in the past two years., ie, best smashed avocado in Melbourne.
22. Facebook uses 98 personal data points to target ads to you
The Value of Blogging:
23. 65% of daily internet users read blogs.
24. 60% of U.S. online consumers have purchased as a result of reading a blogger’s recommendation. (Factbrowser)
25. A blog on a Websites can help to achieve more than 4 times the amount of indexed pages by Search Engines. The greater the number of indexed pages, the more fruitful your SEO efforts will be (U.addresstwo)
26. Small businesses with blogs get 126% more lead growth than small businesses without.
27. After reading recommendations on a blog, 61% of online consumers made a purchase.
The Importance of Website Security:
28. More than 6000 computer viruses are created every month
29. 30,000 websites are hacked each day!
We Lost Without Our Smartphones:
30. 91% smartphone users say they turn to their phones for ideas in the middle of a task
31. 82% of them consult their phones before buying anything in a store.
These are just a few of the mind-boggling statistics that we’ve seen in the last year. They show how entrenched digital is and how likely it will continue to dominate every aspect of our lives.